Tuesday 13 September 2011

On The Roof

I have Chemistry, Physics and Math tests tomorrow, but I'm on the roof........it's beautiful here. It's about 7.10 pm and that in Kolkata means complete darkness. In the sky anyway. The city has lights brighter and brighter.................................Brighter than the stars. There are so many.

I'm sitting overlooking the street. The lights from the construction site are the most gorgeous now. They disperse and become round like they'll swallow you in their warm orangey yellow colour if you could go near them. Festive lights are coming up as well. Light is such a remarkable thing.

It defracts, disperses, bends, reflects.....no wonder scientists had a hard time deciding what it was ( with reference to the wave and particle theory). Another attempt to understand something we cannot control. If we didn't do that, we would probably fear it. LOL. A race of control freaks.

It must take real courage, real fearlessness, to be satisfied with everything around you. To not desire more. To just be happy with what you have. Because that means no more. No dreams, no hopes, no aspirations....utter stagnation. Isn't that what happens when you are happy? You don't want anymore.

If that's true, why can't we understand that right away and respect people who are happy the way they are. Don't want to be or have anything more than what they are or have, respectively. I'm rambling.....but this is the way my head works. Anyway, I guess it's because happiness and satisfaction, if not temporary, is counter-productive....opposing progress. But maybe that's what we need for sustainable development, and I'm talking about ecological development. Yes, I believe in global warming. I'm not daft....I know when there is a problem.

Anyway, I know I'm not happy. I'm sitting up here on the roof. And I'm surrounded by such beauty.....such beauty. But even I know how much more I could enjoy this if I wasn't thinking about other things. I wonder if I'll remember this.
Sometimes life is cruel that way......it doesn't let you enjoy all the beauty around you, cause you're so busy inside your head. But I'm not fearless, I'll probably have to wait a long time before I'm happy, in a permanent way. Here's to smiling and laughing along the way.

Signing off,
your Miss Calcutta,
with her glass half empty. 

No comments:

Post a Comment